www.flickr.com

Friday, May 25, 2007

Off to the Emerald Isle . . .

The day has finally come -- we depart on our big trip to Ireland today! With the exception of a few last minute items, we are mostly packed and ready to go. Our flight leaves from Chicago this evening as we travel through the night overseas. We'll reach our final destination of Dublin bright and early tomorrow morning where we'll be greeted by the native Gallagher family. We absolutely can't wait to take in the sights and immerse ourselves in the wonder of Irish culture. Who knows . . . maybe we'll even come back with accents?!? We'll be sure to update you with many pictures and tales from our trip upon our return. In the meantime, here's a fun little snapshot into the Irish culture that translates some popular Irish slang into our own (more understandable) terms:

Arseways = complete mess (I did it all arseways)
Bag of Taytos = packet of potato chips/crisps
Black Stuff = Guinness
Culchie = a city dweller's name for a country person
Dry Shite = boring person
Eejit = idiot
Fluthered = very drunk
Gas = funny
Hollier = holiday, vacation
Holy show = embarrassing exhibition
I am in me wick = I am not!
Jackeen = a country person's name for somebody that lives in Dublin
Kip = to have a shortsiesta, rest
Knackered = fatigued very tired
Legging (it) = running fast
Mary Hick = old-fashioned female
Nappy = Diaper
Off your nut = mad, crazy
Pull your socks up = Get to work/get busy
Queer hawk = peculiar person
Runners = trainers, everyday sports shoes
Snog, Shift = to make out, kiss
Twistin' hay = means you're starting trouble, usually in a playful way
Up the pole = pregnant
Wanker = a person you don't like
Y-Fronts = Men's briefs

Hmmm . . . this should be interesting. So, since I'm up a pole I'm hoping that everything will go smoothly for us today so we won't have to leg it through the airport. After all, I won't have my runners handy! Hopefully, the flight will go without a hitch and we can squeeze a kip or two in as I'm sure we'll both be knackered. Once we arrive and join our Jackeen hosts, our true hollier will begin and we can pull up socks and get ready to enjoy ourselves . . . as long as we don't meet any wankers. I think I'm getting the hang of this already! Either that or I've gone completely off my nut!!

1 comment:

KJMurphy said...

I want to see pictures!! And, happy birthday old lady! :)